How should Catholic parents handle their children coming out? – In The Tension
I have had a lot of conversations with Catholic parents who do not know what to do when their children come out to them. Having LBGTQ+ children is not something talked about much in Catholic circles. For awhile, I would sit in groups of Catholics who talked about gay people in the worst ways and I would keep my mouth shut knowing that I had a gay child. Then my oldest son died to suicide and I decided that I was not going to choose my Faith or my child. The Catechism of the Catholic Church says nothing about having to make that choice. I believe all the teachings of the Catholic Church and live by them, but I cannot make that choice for anyone else. Even my children. Anthony died as a self identified atheist with two children out of wedlock. If I trust God with Anthony's soul even knowing all the choices that he made outside of Church teaching then I have to do that with my surviving children. My only job is to be their mother. To guide them and love them but also to accept that they have the right to their own way in life, which will come with mistakes, sins, heartbreaks, joys and moments to celebrate. In this episode, I talk to Shannon Ochoa of Eden Invitation which is a group that helps young adults who identify as LGBTQ+ and Catholic find community and support. I hope you enjoy it. Here are where you can find Eden Inviation: Website: https://www.edeninvitation.com/ Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/edeninvitation/ Instagram: @edeninvitation Please consider supporting my work on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/LeticiaOAdams
- How should Catholic parents handle their children coming out?
- Lawyer Amber Webber Booker talks about activism, racism and being a Black woman in court
- AG, Justice and Other Things
- Leticia and Laura: A Conversation with two Moms who survived the worst day of their life
- Join Leticia’s Ranting while getting Groceries and Starbucks
- What is Happening in My Life and a Story
- How Can I buy Avocados without Exploiting my own People?
- Interview with Regina Boyd LMHC about Mental Health in 2020
- Let’s talk About Influencers
- How God reminded me He Loves me